Trust & Safety Wrangler
Trust and Safety Wrangler (Tumblr)
AT AUTOMATTIC CAREERS
Our goal at Automattic is to democratize publishing. A key part of this requires providing safe and trusted publishing platforms for our passionate and engaged communities. To help with these efforts, we’re looking for an experienced Trust & Safety Wrangler to join our Tumblr team. You’ll be at the cross-section of some of the web’s most relevant and impactful issues. Your work will contribute to improvements in everything from our user experience to how we c...Read more
Trust and Safety Wrangler (Tumblr)
AT AUTOMATTIC CAREERS
Our goal at Automattic is to democratize publishing. A key part of this requires providing safe and trusted publishing platforms for our passionate and engaged communities. To help with these efforts, we’re looking for an experienced Trust & Safety Wrangler to join our Tumblr team. You’ll be at the cross-section of some of the web’s most relevant and impactful issues. Your work will contribute to improvements in everything from our user experience to how we create a welcoming, creative community on the web.
Your primary focus will be content review as well as a number of related tasks which include processing reports of mature or otherwise violative content, child safety issues, intellectual property disputes, and law enforcement requests. Your on-the-ground experience in these areas will contribute to policy decisions, improving internal processes, examining trends, communicating with outside partners, and working with multiple teams across Automattic.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Previous experience with customer support and ticketing systems.
- Fluency in written English.
- An ability to communicate nuanced and complex issues in clear, straightforward terms.
- Comfort with collaboration across a globally distributed, multicultural team.
- Experience in online safety, policy development, and crisis management.
- Experience working within a larger (20+ person) Trust & Safety team at medium-to-large web platform.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, empathy, and the ability to work effectively across different subject matters (e.g. policy, law, and technology).
- Ability to be consistent with application of policies or direction given.
- Great judgment. Better yet, really great judgment.
Please note that you may be exposed to graphic and/or disturbing content.
It would also be nice if you have:
- Familiarity with Automattic’s suite of products and their associated communities.
- Previous work at a tech startup.
- An interest in—and deep understanding of—current internet policy issues such as freedom of speech, CSAM, and privacy.
- Experience with legal matters related to copyright, intellectual property, information disclosure, and content removal.
- We’re prioritizing applicants based in the United Kingdom as well as throughout the western United States and Canada (UTC-6 through UTC-10). Applicants outside of those countries who are based in a similar time zone are still welcome to apply.
- Fluency in any of the following languages: Korean, Brazilian Portuguese, Spanish, and Arabic.
HOW TO APPLY
Want to increase your chances of standing out? If so, please address the following points in your cover letter:
- Public discourse around domestic violent extremism can easily become tangled in political commentary and subjective debate. Can you describe how you’ve remained objective when approaching this topic in a professional Trust & Safety-related setting?
- As debate around Section 230 of the CDA continues at the governmental level, what would you identify as the primary challenge facing hosting providers today and in the future when it comes to liability, responsibility, and online safety?
- Everybody is prone to both their conscious and subconscious biases. What best practices have you established during your career to overcome these innate challenges?
Please upload your cover letter and resume as PDFs.
We are the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Jetpack, Tumblr, Simplenote, Longreads, Day One, and more. We believe in making the web a better place.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1400 Automatticians in 80+ countries speaking 90+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.