Application Search - Principal Software Engineer
Elastic is a search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Read more
Elastic is a search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co
A strong search experience in web applications is a must-have and yet it is hard to implement and even harder to perfect. Providing the right piece of content or the perfect product to a potential customer requires insight and effort. Elastic App Search harnesses the power of Elasticsearch for best-in-class relevance right out-of-the-gate. Not only does App Search include typo-tolerance, stemming, bigram and phrase matching, but it also offers search customization features such as Curations, Weights, Boosts, and Synonyms for you to fine-tune relevance based on your business objectives in conjunction with data available via Analytics. Elastic App Search is available as a self-managed package or quickly deployed via Elastic Cloud. We’re seeking a talented software engineer, communicator, and leader to help us continue our mission to provide the best search experience on the market.
What You Will Be Doing:
- You will build next-generation search products and scale advanced distributed systems, such as our web crawler.
- You will collaborate with and mentor international teammates in a mostly text-based, asynchronous, remote-first team environment with occasional video calls and twice-yearly in-person conferences. You’ll be hands-on with the team and codebase, reviewing work and providing constructive feedback.
- You will help define the team’s overall strategy, collaborating on a product roadmap and then breaking it into technical deliverables. You’ll act as an important and communicative part of an engaged and spirited team.
Our Team Style:
- We appreciate articulate and “low ego” people who want to grow as part of a team.
- We welcome diversity in all forms, thought above all. We embrace strange and risky ideas and appreciate characters of all sorts.
- We hold each other accountable and work to a high standard. We take pride in the frequent, safe and graceful delivery of innovative and valuable features.
- We embrace open communication and challenge. We appreciate positivity and vigilance and strive for autonomy, trust, and personal and professional growth.
What You Will Bring:
- Previous experience in a technical leadership role wherein you defined product goals and iterated them into scaled software. You understand that what you build needs to empower and engage the customer, the person.
- Excellent practical judgement. You know how to prioritize, when to collaborate and ask for help, and when to be independent.
- Measured and articulate written and spoken communication skills. You work well with others and can craft concise and expressive thoughts into correspondence: issues, investigations, documentation and onboarding material.
- An interest in learning new tools, languages, workflows and philosophies that can help you grow. You can function well in an environment that drives towards change.
If this sounds interesting, we would love to hear from you! Please include whatever info you believe is relevant: resume, GitHub profile, code samples, blog posts and writing samples, links to personal projects, etc.
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving - We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Elastic is an Equal Employment employer committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action for all applicants and employees. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. Elastic also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees consistent with applicable law.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Elasticsearch, Inc. (“Elastic”) which is located at 800 W. El Camino Real, Suite 350 Mountain View, CA 94040 USA, and can be contacted by emailing [email protected]. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Elastic’s recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by Elastic, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment. Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Elastic to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Elastic’s behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under the standard contractual clauses. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at [email protected]. Elastic’s data protection officer is Felix Wittern, who can be contacted at [email protected]. We plan to retain your data until such time as roles you may be suitable for are filled, as such we cannot estimate the specific time period that will be. We would consider this period to have ended once a candidate accepts our job offer. However, once that period of time is over, we may hold your data for an additional period of time that will not exceed 18 months. We do this to ensure you can be considered for potential future opportunities which you might be better suited for. To see additional information, please review our Elastic Privacy Statement.